Thursday, March 24, 2011

My poor little Gussers!!!!!

Monday night, my sweet baby boy got burnt on the stove. We were coming off the most amazing day. We had gone to the park, uncovered a new coffee shop, and then had a picnic at the airport viewing area. It was awesome! The time came to make dinner and I made the (now) regrettable decision to let him help me.

We prepared the food together, dipping chicken breast in a beaten egg, then coating it with a crumb mixture and then put it in the oven.  Then we moved to the stove, where I was boiling a pot of water to make mashed potatoes....I kept telling Gus I no longer needed help and that the stove top was super hot. I did not however ask him to leave the kitchen. Instead, I reveled the the glow of our glorious day together, not entertaining the notion that things quickly might turn....

As I was removing the pot of boiling water I told Gus to be careful because the burner was hot and as I set the potatoes down on the other boiler-Gus threw his left hand down on the red hot, newly vacant burner. Ahhhhhhgggggghhhh!!!! What followed next can only be described as utter chaos. Gus and I were both crying, I was calling my sister Aimee (an ER nurse) and trying to get Gus dressed and out the door. After a few minutes, the burns that at first looked clear, began to darken and I knew he had 2nd degree burns. My sister talked me into driving Gus to Children's ER and I am so glad she did.

He cried the entire way, apologizing for not listening to me. It was horrendous. 
"Mom, I should have listened to you!" (He was in so much pain, he was twisting an elastic band that goes to his carseat cover around his other wrist trying to transfer pain away from his injury.)
"You're the best mom in the world."(Crying.Followed by screaming....followed by growling.)
"I never cooking with you again!"
(more growling)
"Oooohhh. It's all my fault!"
(I kept telling him it was 100% all my fault. I had no business having him in there with a hot stove.)
"I want to sit up front with you! I want you to touch me!"
(By this time I was hysterical myself)
"My hand is on fire!"
(screaming)
"Am I still the best boy in the world?"
(broke my heart!)

Once we got to CCHMC, they ushered us into a room within 10 minutes. I guess they felt awful for the poor little guy. He ended up with 1st and 2nd degree burns-but no 3rd. Praise Jesus!  We have to wrap it and do dressing changes a few times a day-but the dr thinks he will be just fine. As bad as it was to see him in so much pain, I realize it could have been so much worse. I am going to be more careful and protective of my kiddos from now on. It just stinks it took something like that to teach me a lesson.

4 comments:

MommyFlyer3903 said...

Gussie - The Kagan's are so sorry this happened to you :(
We hope you get better soon :)

sarah said...

:( Gussers!!!! I am so sorry. Catcher and I can't stand to see your little hand like that. But mommy told us you were a very brave little guy. We love you!

csrice859 said...

Even with one hand he's still a little tornado

shell said...

oh heather i am so sorry! that had to be scary. glad he is ok!